Compounding combines an ageless art with the latest medical knowledge and state-of-the-art technology, allowing specially trained pharmacists to prepare customized medications to meet each patient’s specific needs.
Because of the limited number of strengths and dosage forms that are commercially available, the demand for professional compounding has increased. To better fit the patients’ needs and optimize the effectiveness of medications, our compounding pharmacists can create customized dosage forms that are “just what the doctor ordered”.
Compounding is the long-established tradition in pharmacy practice that enables prescribers to prescribe and patients to take medicines that are specially prepared by pharmacists to meet patients’ individual needs.
The basis of the profession of pharmacy has always been the “triad,” the patient-prescriber-pharmacist relationship. Through this relationship, patients’ needs are determined by a prescriber, who chooses a treatment regimen that may include a compounded medication. Physicians often prescribe compounded medications for reasons that include (but are not limited to) the following situations:
- When needed medications are discontinued by or generally unavailable from pharmaceutical companies, often because the medications are no longer profitable to manufacture;
- When the patient is allergic to certain preservatives, dyes or binders in available off-the shelf medications;
- When treatment requires tailored dosage strengths for patients with unique needs (for example, an infant);
- When a pharmacist can combine several medications the patient is taking to increase compliance;
- When the patient cannot ingest the medication in its commercially available form, then a pharmacist can prepare the medication in cream, liquid or other form that the patient can easily take; and
- When medications require flavor additives to make them more palatable for some patients, most often children.
These same thoughts apply to companion animals as well. Many times a 5 pound dog cannot take the same dose of a medication as 50 pound dog. With a limited number of doses available to veterinarians there is a need for pharmacists to compound individualized dosages for these animals.
Although many pharmacies sell vitamins, Louisville Pharmacy only sells premium quality nutraceutical products chosen by our pharmacists for purity and efficacy. Our pharmacists are knowledgeable about the different combinations and varieties offered and can help you make the best decision for your health. We also provide detailed product descriptions, patient instructions, and supporting information to help guide you in your product decisions.
The main brands of products we carry include:
- Integrative Therapeutics
- Ortho Molecular
- Biotics Research
- Natural Factors
- Bairn Biologics
- ICA Health
- Nutramax Lab
- Global Trade
- Nordic Naturals
- Source Naturals
- ...and many other specialty products
We are always happy to special order any product to meet your needs. Can’t make it into the Louisville Pharmacy? Call us, we are happy to ship the product you need right to your front door. Contact us today!
To assist men and women and their medical practitioners with compounded formulations of bio-identical hormones, Louisville Pharmacy offers an individual consultation with a pharmacist on staff. The consultation allows the opportunity for patients to receive answers to their specific questions about bio-identical hormone replacement therapy. During the private consultation, the pharmacist will provide:
- Review of personal medical history
- Review of symptoms
- Review of lab work, if appropriate
- Discussion of lifestyle and nutrition
- Recommendations to healthcare provider
To learn more about our consultations and fees, or to schedule an appointment, please call 502-894-4464. Consultations are by appointment only.